Talks at conferences & workshops
- Brocher Foundation, Geneva, Monash University workshop Citizens’s use of digital media to connect with healthcare: exploring the socio-ethical and regulatory implications, June 2017 (invited speaker).
- Research series, Media and Communications, Leeds University. Feminism, hormones and the Quantified Self: Imagining data futures. March 2016 (invited speaker).
- ECREA 2016 (ECC) Prague, Panel Imagining data futures: Mediated (Dis)Continuities in everyday life and the lab, November 2016.
- University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam Centre for Globalisation Studies, Series ‘Trajectories of Publicness and Contestation’ series, workshop Materiality, Publicness and Digital Media, 25-26 October 2016.(invited speaker).
- AioR Berlin 2016, 5-8 October. Feminism and the Quantified Self, Panel Bolies and Roundtable Feminist Big Data (invited).
- SOME Seminars, The Missing Actor: The Meaning of Political Cultures for Media/Movements Interactions, University of Florence/ Goldsmiths, 21st and 22nd of April 2016 (invited speaker).
- Biopedagogy and the dataified self: Fitness wearables and big data. Digital Culture and Communication Section in ECREA, University of Saltzburg 26-28 November 2015, Center for Advanced Studies and Research in Information and Communication Technologies & Society.
- Training to self-care: Fitness tracking and the knowledgeable consumer (with Kate O’Riordan), 4S Conference (Society for Social Studies of Science), Denver, Colorado, 11-14 November 2015. Session: WEARABLES, SELF-TRACKING AND QUANTIFIED SELVES: EMERGING PERSPECTIVES.
- Biosensory experiences and media materiality (with Kate O’Riordan). IR16, October 21-24, Phoenix, Arizona USA.
- Training to Self-Care: Knowledge, Power, and Fitness Data, Data Power Conference, 22nd & 23rd June, University of Sheffield, UK.
- Quantified Self community, wearables and the making of ‘smart’ publics at Biosensors, Art and Publics, University of Sussex, 30 October 2014 (invited).
- Quantifying the self: All these yearnings, all these data, at Crossroads 2014 Cultural Studies Conference, Tampere, Finland, 1-4 July 2014
- Social Analytics: Doing Digital Phenomenology in the Face of Algorithmic Power, with Nick Couldry, ICA Seattle, US. 23 May 2014 (Sheraton, Redwood B).
- The televised launch of the first in-vitro meat burger as a media event, at Justice in a More than Human World: Collaboration or Exploitation? Working with living systems across the arts and sciences. Meat cultures, panel with Oron Catts, February 28, 2014, Science and Justice, UCSC.
- Climbing Gotzilla with Fitbit, at OpenLab, University of California Santa Cruz, 19th February 2014
- ‘All these emotions, all these yearnings, all these data’: platform openess, data sharing and visions of democracy, at Center for Cultural Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz, 5th February 2014
- Smart Publics? The publics of the smart grid, at Smart Publics? Technoscience and public engagement, Travelling seminars series of the Publics Now, Then and Beyond Network, OU, at University of Sussex, 5th December 2013
- Storycircle: The Materiality of Voice (co-presenter with Nick Couldry, Richard MacDonald, & Hilde C. Stephansen), at ZeMKI research seminars, Centre for Media, Communication and Information Research, University of Bremen, 28 November 2013
- FitBit: assessing blogs, media coverage and the user interface, at Making sense of wearables: new emerging markets and mediascapes, Brussels, EPINET networking event, 5th November 2013
- Climbing Gotzilla: Apps, sensors and all these data, at Media and Film Department Research Seminars, University of Sussex, 23 Ontober 2013
- Imaginaries of Smart Grids: Public Issues, Contradiction and Controversy at 4S Annual Meeting (Society of Social Studies of Science), 9-12 October 2013, San Diego, Panel: Imagining Public Issues in the Technosciences.
- “You can see the wonder in their eyes, and the world is opening up”: The social dimensions of digital expertise for older and partially blind people. Panel Expertise with/in Digital Media,World Social Science Forum 2013: Social Transformations and the Digital Age, October 13-15, 2013 in Montréal, Canada.
- Susnet Project, at Digital Culture and Communication Section Workshop ECREA, Bonn, Germany, October 2013.
- Chair at YECREA Meeting, Digital Culture and Communication, Planning a non-conventional academic career in digital culture and communication: Challenges and opportunities, Bonn University, 5 October 2013 (More info: http://22.214.171.124/wordpress/?page_id=202)
- Digital and networked by default? Feminist politics media lived at Queer, Feminist and Social Media Praxis, University of Sussex, 17 May 2013.
- Publics then, now and beyond workshop, The Open University, 4 – 5 June 2013 (invited).
- Digital Citizenship, Narrative Exchange and the Changing Terms of Civic Culture (Storycircle Project, presented by Dr Hilde C. Stephansen) at Citizen Media: New Mediations of Civic Engagement, 13-14 |June, University of Manchester
- Telling the story of the stories: imaginaries and materializations of digital engagement, at ICA 2013 London (International Communication Association), 20 June 2013, Panel The Materiality of Voice: International Perspectives on Digital Storytelling Practice.
- Feminist spaces and digital methodologies: Mapping the issue of reproductive technologies as a social controversy, at the FWSA 2013 conference ‘The Lady Doth Protest: Mapping Feminist Movements, Moments and Mobilisations’, 21 – 23 June 2013 (Feminist and Women’s Studies Association, UK & Ireland).
- Network media and queer communities: local and cosmopolitan at the 4th European Communication Conference, ECREA Istabul 2012.
- Feminist identities and network narratives, at the 9th International Conference Crossroads in Cultural Studies, Paris, France, from July 2nd to 6th, 2012, hosted by Sorbonne Nouvelle University with the support of the French National Commission for UNESCO.
- Digital networks and women: emerging political subjectivities in a time of crisis, at the workshop Articulating alternatives: agents, spaces and communication in/of a time of crisis, in Centre for the Study of Global Media and Democracy, Goldsmiths, University of London, 3 May 2012 (invited).
- Materialising practices: The embodiment of politics in digital networks, at the MeCCSA 2012 Conference, University of Bedfordshire. January 2012.
- Web crawling, network narratives and performing political identities at the ‘Internet Research 12.0 – Performance and Participation’, Association of Internet Researchers (Aoir), Seattle 2011. Panel: Political subjects and political fields: Or how technology happens twice.
- The truth in Computing?: Issue Crawler and Cultural Research – A Workshop organised by Digital Humanities, Digital Methods, Research Centre for Digital Material Culture, Digital Theme (2011 University of Sussex).
- ‘You Can Do More, You Can Actually Change the Productivity’: Affective Labour in Queer/ Feminist Porn Cultures at the ‘Revolting bodies, politics and gender’: 18th lesbian lives conference (2011 University of Brighton).
- Feminist networks, issues and identities: The case of Feminism in London 2009 at the 3rd European Communication Conference, ECREA 2010, University of Hamburg.
- Mapping Feminist Networks: Digital Tools and Ethnographies at the Women’s Liberation Movement @ 40 Conference: Continuities and Change (2010 Ruskin College, University of Oxford)
- A Code for Eccentricity and Home-made Cookies: Researching Brighton Queer Cultural Activism at the BSSN Conference : THE ACADEMY & ACTIVISM (2009 University of Brighton)